If you are fortunate to have toss-backs in your facility or gym this is a great drill for your post players. However, if you do not have toss-backs, you can use coaches/players/managers as passers. The one factor I do like about using toss-backs for drill that incorporate passing is they force you to throw perfect hard/crisp passes in order to receive a great pass back.
One thing I learned from Billy Donovan is on the catch in the post, if you are going to face up to the rim; always inside pivot dropping your bottom foot so your chest opens up to the top of they key. This is especially important if you have a skilled big that is often trapped. By opening up to the court they can see the trap coming and where it is coming from and find the open man. If you drop your top foot the players back is turned to the floor and really paralyzes the player in the post.
- Inside Pivot – Jump Shot
- Inside Pivot – Jab Step Baseline – Jump Shot
- Inside Pivot – Jab Step Baseline – Power dribble middle – Finish hook shot
- Inside Pivot – Jab Step Baseline – Power dribble middle – Up & Under
- Inside Pivot – Quick rip baseline – Finish on either strong side or rim or opposite side of rim (Mikan)
- Inside Pivot – Quick rip baseline – Finish on either strong side or rim or opposite side of rim (Reverse Mikan)
There are numerous moves you can utilize…use your imagination!